Friday 17 May 2013

A year after Graduation!

My social media is currently being bombarded with friends, who are still at university, celebrating the end of exams and essays.

It began to get me thinking about the 11 or so months after I had graduated.

At this point last year, I had finished all my coursework and exams and was working away in my part-time job trying to earn as much money as possible.

I was nearly ready to hand the keys back on my beloved Dundee flat and head off back to Fife, to live with my parents.

I had no graduate job lined up, no masters or post-graduate and things were starting to look pretty bleak money wise.


However, on the positive I was trying to attend as may graduation parties and get togethers as physically possible.


Dundee University Graduation Ball 2012

Abertay University Graduation Ball 2012


I also worked for two weeks on a residential called LO2S by the organisation I work for now - LIFT OFF.

Whilst doing this I realised that I definitely wanted to work with young people perhaps in social work, community work or teaching. So I began the endless task of applying for jobs....

I also took 2 weeks to go travelling with my friend, Shona. We began our trip in Rome and went to Florence, Milan, Vienna, Salzburg and Zagreb. It was a jam packed trip but I'm sure I'll blog about the highs and lows later.



Drinking beer in Vienna
So after travelling I came back with £100 in my bank, a sun tan and no job.

Technically, I was unemployed for 3 weeks until the day I got a call from the boss at LIFT OFF. They offered me a four-week full time job to help the team after 2 members had left. I was also invited to apply for the full-time job - WHICH I GOT!

So now I work full-time for an organisation that I originally had volunteered for. I am the ultimate organisation freak and I really struggled this time last year to think about what I was going to do after university.

For those of you who are having a mild panic attack in the library don't worry it will all be fine and work out in the end!

Steph <3


No comments:

Post a Comment