Wednesday 12 June 2013

Keep Calm and Walk on!

If you missed my first blog about the Moonwalk 2013 you can read it here..

The big day had arrived. It was Saturday 8th June and I was going to be walking 26.2 miles starting at midnight. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!

But it was all for charity and that was the main thing.

I have to admit I was very nervous on Saturday. I managed to try and get as much rest during the day as possible. I spent most of the day in the garden on a sun lounger eating bananas and drinking LOADS of water.

Trying not to laugh as Mum takes a photo of me "relaxed"


I arrived at Leith Links at about 8:30 and seen the large pink tent where we were to gather before we set off on our walk. It was really frustrating to sit about when all you wanted to do was to get walking. However the entertainment was great and my favourite was the warm up section.

So here it is my mile for mile commentary of the night (sort of).


Mile 1 11:47pm
We set off. I was walking with my friend Mairi and her friend Laura and we were sooooooo enthusiastic on those first couple of miles. We waved at everyone who hung out their windows said hello to those who had ventured out of the pubs and whooped whooped once we got to the first mile marker.

Mile 2, 3 &4
These miles took us up and around Arthur's Seat. I was pretty glad that this was near the start there   would have been noooo way I could have done that towards the end. Mairi, Laura and I were walking at the same pace - which was great. We took in the delightful sights of Edinburgh and munched on  Jelly Babies.

Mile 5 & 6
Took us along Princes Street Gardens and up back to the Royal Mile. It was great to see the Saturday night revellers look on and give us a cheery clap and a wave. Jenners was also lit up in pink which was a great sight. We were still on our target and feeling good.

Mile 7, 8 & 9
To be honest these few miles were a bit of a blur. However I do remember the rain decided to put in an appearance at this point. However, our ponchos were at the ready to battle through. Just after mile 9 was announced the half mooners turned off. I was quite surprised that how early they turned off but I was also extremely jealous that in about 45 mins they'll be finished and we weren't even half way!! Laura and Mairi called for a toilet stop and although I could have kept going I wanted to stop to take some more paracetamol and reposition my poncho.

Mile 10
It was quite difficult to get going after a toilet stop and I couldn't believe the amount of walkers stopping very early on. Mile 10 was a big marker for me as throughout my training I had made this my snack mile. Out came the belvita biscuits. However, I had left my water at the toilet stop so my mouth was very very dry. We came to the Quality Street junction for those who know Edinburgh well. Mairi was perked up by a very handsome police man and Laura had the ipod on loud speaker so we could all enjoy the tunes.

Mile 11 & 12
Armed with another bottle of water we slowly made our way down towards the water front. Mairi and Laua kept up with the speed but I began to slow down. However the sound of Chaplins disco in the distance helped me to pick up the pace and we shimmed past the bus. However at this point Mairi and Laura were slowly gaining some distance and I was just not able to keep up with them. Being my first Moonwalk I was in the frame of mind to conserve my energy as we still had half way to go.

Mile 13 and 14
I crossed the halfway mark on my own. But I did whoop whoop as I crossed that lovely marker. Mairi and Laura were pretty far off in the distance. So far off that I couldn't even see them. We were still by the waterfront and there were a number of walkers dashing off to the woods to quickly relive themselves before they joined their group again. I was still feeling pretty strong as we headed down to Leith waterfront. The volunteers were a great help shouting "C'mon looking great" "Keep those legs moving...oranges are on the way". However one volunteer was shouting "you are almost finished" I felt like punching him in the face considering we were only just halfway.

I read on the WalktheWalk forum that some people found this really disheartening especially those Moonwalk virgins! I pushed through and seen Mairi and Laura waiting in the toilet queue.

Mairi and Laura: "Steph!!!!!!" they shouted
Me: "I'm just going to keep going"
M & L "We'll catch you up"
Me: "You probably will you guys are going super fast"

For the next 6 miles I was on my own.

Miles 15 & 16
These next two miles were pretty pleasant. The route took us down by Ocean Terminal and there are some really lovely properties and restaurants down here too. However, there was quite an annoying group of women playing "Eye Spy". Now I am all up for entertainment on the way round but this was seriously getting on my nerves. I couldn't concentrate on my breathing or walking so I slowed down to allow them to pass. "Ahhhhh...peace and quiet."

Mile 17, 18, 19
Mile 17 was a godsend. Just when we thought we couldn't see it we rounded a corner and it was there in all its glory. This meant we were on single figure countdown...9 miles to go! I seriously couldn't contain my "woop" as we trundled across.
A lovely local hairdressers had opened their doors to allow walkers to use their toilets and also were holding thousands of orange segments. They were lifesavers and really spurred me on for that little bit of the mile. Miles 18 & 19 were leading us towards Portobello and the beach. At this point I had realised how slow I was going and could just imagine Mairi and Laura powering up behind me to give me moral support. On the front a small folk band were playing music which helped refresh the energy of everyone as they saw how long Mile 19 stretched out in front of them. Towards the end of Mile 19 there was refreshments in the shape of teas and hot chocolates. Without going into too much detail...my stomach was killing me. Probably from the sheer amount of food I had been shovelling in for the last 19 miles. Plus my bum bag was pretty tight. However I decided to use the loo as I didn't want to stop again so close to the end.

Mile 21
Yeah, that's right....I missed Mile 20. I did not see the marker as I came out of the toilet so I missed it. I did think Mile 19 was beginning to take the piss until I seen Mile 21! Doh!!

Mile 22 & 23
These two miles were VERY long. We walked up Portobello High Street and beyond that! I was in a really bad place at this point. Mister Blister was making a sever comeback and my pace had steadily slowed. I spied some others struggling and told myself to just keep going. Although the sun was up at this point it was still pretty cold. I took off my poncho and donned my grey hoodie. I was on my way to approaching mile 24 when I turned around at the approach of two walkers. It was Laura and Mairi. They were both still on super form so we said our hellos and they marched on leaving me at my snails pace. I still don't know how they did it. My body was not coping well and my hamstrings were becoming incredibly tight.
One thing that did keep me going throughout the night was the sights of Edinburgh. If you ever get the chance just have a wander around Edinburgh early morning on a Sunday. It is really pleasant and not too much traffic. Mairi and Laura had once again disappeared out of view. However, there were some people who were walking back towards us...
These were the Over the Moon challengers who were taking on 2 marathons back to back! Credit to them all! As we were approaching 13 miles (halfway) they were thinking only a quarter of the way there. Their challenge was also timed meaning it had to be completed in 14 hours....major ouch!!!

Mile 24
We were back now down at the Scottish Parliament and I was sure one of the volunteers said "All up hill from now" Nah he must of been wrong. Why would you say something like that...he must have meant downhill...please be downhill. I was wrong!!!! We had to walk from the Scottish Parliament to about halfway up the Royal Mile...ALL UP HILL. Everyone was knackered. The pace slowed and the walkers didn't want to stopped at the traffic lights. I was a goner! Although some of you may think "only 2 miles to go...just floor it" I seriously had nothing else to "floor it with" my energy had seriously run out. EVERYTHING ACHED and I felt like throwing a tantrum.

However, when I rounded the corner and see a women, her son and her dog clapping us along it was a great relief. As I got closer I saw her homemade sign. It said (something along this lines) "You are awesome...you help people like me live an extra 12-18 years". My eyes were welling up! Her son was handing out chocolate bars encouraging us to keep going. This gave me a new perspective. I had to finish strongly!

Mile 25
This was hard!!! But the volunteers kept us going. It was mostly downhill but it was back down the street which we had started. I was looking out for the landmarks as I walked down. I saw Tesco on the right hand side and seen my Dad's car in the car park. I thought "Thank God they are here...they are going to see me finish". I crossed the road where the lovely volunteers had maracas and huge signs say "Well done"! I could see the pink tent! I WAS NEARLY THERE!!!!

Mile 26
I first saw my Dad! He was standing on the other side of the road looking for everyone. I waved to him and he crossed the road and walked the last 200m with me! This was the best feeling ever. I could see Mum and the BF waiting for me too! They were waving and taking photos! One final traffic light stop and then I was there. I have never been so relieved to see fences stating "Finish". At this point Mairi and Laura passed me by shouting "Go Steph" I assume they finished about 10/15mins in front of me. I saw the crowds by the finish line and felt a surge of emotional once I crossed the finish.



Finish 7.45am
I had completed the 26.2 miles in about 8 hours. I was soooooo pleased with myself. A lovely volunteer handed me my medal and gave me a huge hug.


I'm not going to lie. I couldn't walk on Sunday. Everything was painful and all I wanted to do was sleep. I tried to stretch but it was too difficult. I slept from about 8.30-11.30am then 2-4pm then 9pm-10am the next day.

It was one of the hardest challenges I've ever undertaken but I am so glad I managed it!

Steph <3

No comments:

Post a Comment