Friday 21 June 2013

Fun in the Bone Household!


Ahhhh my wee family unit! We do have some really good times in the Bone household. So good in fact that everyone always enjoys my stories about what we have been getting up to and the dramas that have unfolded. I hope you do too...

After watching "Happy Families" last night on STV (that is the Scottish version of ITV if ya don't know) I began to see a lot of similarities in my own family. Of course, each had their different rules but I think it is really funny how different families act and react to different situations.

My Dad has always enjoyed a rule and loves to enforce them on the rest of us. Now that I am living back home I do appreciate these rules and finding myself using them in everyday life. (God help me!)

Here are some of my favourite rules:
1) There must ALWAYS be space in the garage for the car. My Dad hates people who don't use their garage. It really upsets him.
2) Every Sunday there must be a Roast Dinner!!!!!! (this has been standard now for as long as I can remember)
3) If you touch the thermostat for the heating...you might as well be dead! (He has even threatened to put a locking system on it...no joke!)
4) Plus we follow the "4 weekly Menu".....let me explain

We have a menu in our house for every single meal over a 4 week rota! (Yep it rotates....amazing eh!) My Mum being a dinner lady and my Dad being in the Navy has really helped for this to be an integral part of our lives. I'm sure I could probably even recite part all of the menu if I had to.

It works from the Sunday Roast (rotating Chicken, Lamb, Beef and Pork) and then follows on from here. There are a few rules that MUST be followed... Friday must always be of the fish variety and Saturday will either be curry, spagetti, steak or curry (again).

It is pretty nifty and works really well for my family. I know some people might find this awfully boring and not imaginative but it helps us budgeting our shopping meaning we have little or no waste every week. Also, my Dad works different shifts so sometimes there is room for some cheeky divulges into a new dish.

We do have the chance to change it up a bit but it goes through a strict vetting process (I KNOW!!).
1) Dad must like the dish. As one of the fussiest eaters for all things new we have to make sure he likes it.

And that is it! We can then replace one meal with the new dish. However, roast dinners must NEVER be touched.

That takes us to the end of the magical mystery tour of my family. I'd be interested to know what you think. Would the menu work in your house? Or do you have another way to plan meals? Also does your family have some strange rules you want to broadcast on the web! Let me know in the comments below...

Steph <3

No comments:

Post a Comment